Are You Brainwashed by Political Propaganda From the Right or Left?
Here are some questions to ask yourself to evaluate this.
1. Do you only read and pay attention to opinions that go along with what you already believe? Do you resist reading anything that gives credence to arguments from the other side?
2. Do you only listen to MSNBC or Fox News? (These stations are mentioned particularly since it’s generally accepted which “side” they are on.)
3. Do you find that you can’t be friends with a liberal or a conservative because they have a view that opposes yours?
4. Do you have a lot of fear and anger about political issues and lack peace of mind because of your political concerns?
5. Do you see the other side in extreme terms, such as “evil”, “dangerous”, “out to destroy democracy”, etc?
6. Have you lost friendships with others due to having different political views?
7. Do you find yourself adhering to your own side’s policies and views so much that you will not consider the validity of any views the other side puts forth.
8. Are you becoming increasingly frustrated and fearful of “liberals” or “conservatives”.
9. Are your family members concerned that you are taking politics too seriously?
10. Do you find that when you share your views with others that they change the topic or otherwise withdraw from you?
11. Do you find that when you talk to another person about politics that your secret goal is to convert the other person and you have no intention of truly listening to their point of view or modifying your own point of view in lieu of new information you may receive?
12. Do you believe that your side has the truth–that the other side is the one that is subject to propaganda and you and your side is not subject to propaganda?
13. Do you automatically discount everything political candidates say who are on the other side?
14. Do you find yourself making excuses for your party when they use tactics that are unfair or are distortions of the truth, while getting outraged when the other party uses such tactics.